Why an LED Upgrade is Ideal for Supermarkets?December 19, 2016
Imagine if a grocery store manager could flick a switch and see more products fly off the supermarket shelves. That’s the same dream brand managers have when they invest time and energy in creating the most attractive packaging possible. And, that’s the same objective farmers, ranchers and fishermen have when selecting and shipping their fresh produce, meat, and fish.
Of course, quality is important. However, at Go Beyond Lighting, we know that a flick of the switch is possible…it actually comes down to improved lighting, since shoppers won’t buy merchandise that doesn’t present at its very best.
Three Ways an LED Upgrade Benefits Supermarkets
When supermarket management undertakes to upgrade fluorescent to LED, it’s a win-win for all stakeholders in three main categories: presentation, energy efficiency and cost savings.
An LED Retrofit Enhances Presentation:
- Grocery shoppers read not only the calories per serving, but also the fine print on ingredient and nutrition labels these days, including information on point of origin, gluten, protein, dairy, and more. A supermarket’s improved lighting ensures a satisfactory experience.
- LED lighting allows customers to appreciate the natural color of meats, seafood, fish, deli items, fruits, vegetables and other fresh foods on display, without lighting filters or fluorescent bulbs that significantly distort.
- Well illuminated displays and signage attract shoppers’ attention.
- Clean and attractively designed grocery stores can provide interactive, destination shopping experiences, bustling retail opportunities and gourmet showcases.
- Newer refrigeration units with up-to-date embedded lighting design provide better visibility, more time-efficient re-stocking, and faster customer access to items easily seen inside.
An LED Retrofit Creates Energy Savings:
- LEED certification and green status are increasingly important to customers as a brand promise from their supermarket chain or smaller grocery retailer.
- Intelligent lighting can adjust to levels of daylight at different times and in various locations within the establishment, thereby saving energy throughout the day.
- Motion and photometric sensors, LED dimming capabilities, and data collection further eliminate wasted energy.
- An LED retrofit eliminates heat produced by traditional bulbs, thereby preserving the integrity of inventory perishables.
An LED Retrofit Produces Cost Savings:
- The U.S. Department of Energy indicates that by having LED vs fluorescent shop lights owners will save between 25 percent and 75 percent in electricity costs. LED experts indicate that supermarkets will save 60 to 76 percent on their related electricity costs through reduced energy costs, refrigerated cases, and LED displays that result in driving up revenue by stimulating customer engagement.
- Reduced heat means less spent on cooling systems throughout the premises.
- Much reduced maintenance due to long-life LED upgrades substantially lowers maintenance costs for grocery stores and supermarkets.
At Go Beyond Lighting, we look forward to hearing from supermarket owners and managers who would like to benefit from a customized Lighting as a Service (LaaS) audit to identify the win-win opportunities.