Blog

LED Lights vs CFL Lights

October 17, 2016

Are you considering a commercial or industrial facility lighting retrofit? Comparing the cost, lifespan, and energy output of  LED vs fluorescent shop lights is an essential part of your information gathering.

The results are truly remarkable…all the more so for a large-scale facility LED retrofit.  

Lighting Comparisons

Traditional incandescent bulbs use only about 10 percent of the energy they emit as light; the remaining 90 percent is lost as heat. With a lifespan of only 1,000 to 2,000 hours, they’re cheaper, but don’t deliver a satisfactory ROI nor an environmentally-friendly solution. Starting in 2014, the manufacture of incandescent light bulbs was phased out, with a complete ban on their sale scheduled for 2020.

CFLs (compact fluorescent lights) use about 70 percent less energy than incandescent bulbs and last approximately 6,000 to 10,000 hours. They are at least three times more efficient than a traditional incandescent, however there’s a short delay while they turn on fully and they cannot be dimmed. CFLs do contain a small amount of mercury, potentially harmful to both your health and the environment, so broken and spent bulbs must be specially disposed of.

LEDs (light-emitting diodes) are the most efficient source of lighting on the planet. With a lifespan of 25,000 to 100,000 hours, they work by bringing together a positive and a negative current to create energy released in the form of light. The resulting light source is instantaneous, reliable, there’s no flicker and it’s possible to dim them. While more expensive, one bulb can last 25 years or longer.

Lighting as a Service

Go Beyond Lighting recommends a comprehensive LaaS solution, beginning with an on-site audit. Our customers who upgrade fluorescent to LED also save on maintenance, thereby achieving the best possible return on investment from day one. An LED upgrade is the ideal choice for a large-scale facility lighting retrofit, which can significantly benefit from incentives and rebates associated with LED financing.

Topic(s):